Saturday, February 19, 2011

Current update

I'll let this post be without pictures even though it's against my usual trend. I really don't think anybody would want to see the top news of the day- My Foot!


For anyone who hasn't already heard, I had surgery on my foot Thursday. I've had a bone spur on the top of my foot for the last few years and recently it's started to really cause me some issues. When I went in to the doctor to see if there was anything to be done he said that it was actually causing some arthritis and I needed to have it shaved down and possibly fused. I opted out of the fusing for now but we went ahead with the exostetimy (big word right? I have no idea if that's spelled right) The hope is that without the spur I'll be able to wear foot inserts and prevent the arthritis from getting any worse and I'll be able to avoid more pain and suffering.

I was nervous about the recovery but it wasn't until Wednesday night that I realized how freaked out I was about the surgery itself. The last time I had surgery was when I was just a kid and I had my tonsils out. I was pretty sure I was going to die.

So when I got to the hospital Jason told the nurse I was nervoust so they gave me some versed (again, spelling?) They said it would calm me down. Apparently it did, Jason said I got super mellow and he got a good kick out of it. Then they came and gave me a little bit more and I don't remember a thing past it. I think that's the weirdest part of the whole thing. I was totally conscious, awake, aware of everything going on around me but I don't remember one bit of it! It's a bit unnerving to not know what you did or said. I can't imagine how people can get drunk and have the same sort of experience ON PURPOSE! Ya, I'll pass.

Anyway, now I'm recovering. I'm doing really well, I'm just going crazy. I sit and look around me at all the things that I think need to be done and I just can't do them. See, I'm really not very good with crutches. I've never used them before! My pits are SO sore. I haven't figured out how to carry stuff around while using them and so I've been trying to just hop. That is pretty exhausting, let me tell you. Hopefully these next few weeks will go quickly and I'll heal well.

Jason has been so helpful though. He has been really patient with my nagging and worrying. I sure got lucky with that one! He's been off work this week so he's been my personal slave. Great vacation right? I'm going to be pretty bummed when he has to go back in on Monday.

0 comments: