Thursday, April 2, 2009

Spring Time!


The weather here may not be able to make up it's mind but I sure have. For me- spring is officially here. My seeds sprouted this morning. It is amazing to me how fast they sprout. This morning there was just the one tomato, Now there are signs of several Zucchini, and a squash to go along with these two precious beauties.
.
Better than that- I began my spring cleaning.
.
Here's a little confession, though it may be a little to much info to reveal, I'm going to own it. I don't clean. Or I didn't anyway. I've tried. I've had great intentions but it's just been something that I really struggled with. To give you an idea, as a newlywed,when my hubby mentioned his mom was washing their walls one day I thought it was a joke. I figured it was a figure of speech saying she was doing some deep cleaning. I never imagined that one would literally clean their walls.
.
I'm SORRY! I just never learned that stuff. My chore growing up was washing dishes- that's just what I did. I do dishes VERY well- walls, not so much.
.
Regardless, I'm now ready to turn over a new leaf. I realized that I've struggled with housework because it just seemed so overwhelming. So many things, so many different little tasks. My ADD would go wild and I would wander aimlessly through the house not knowing where to start. My other problem was, since I really didn't know HOW to clean I would look at each task as basically impossible. Afraid that if I attempted to do anything I might ruin something or asphyxiate myself with toxic fumes. I've been getting better over the years but now, I think I've hit a breakthrough with one simple quote
.
"Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family"
.
AHA! What have I been so worried about? It's actually from http://www.flylady.net/ a cleaning program that I recently subscribed to. It's great for an ADD gall like me because they break it down so simply. Each week we have a "Zone" we are working on and a special "mission" to complete daily. Simple stuff. This week is Living room/entryway. Today's assignment was to wash the walls of the entryway. WASH THE WALLS! (ooooo see, it really does happen)
.
SO, I did. I washed the walls. Maybe not correctly but I did. Then I scrubbed the door. Washed and vacuumed the screen and it became contagious. It started to spread. I don't know what happened! I don't know if it's this Fly Lady thing or a new vitamin I started today or finally breaking the 10 lb mark on my weight loss plan but something clicked.
.
Before noon today I had washed most of the windows, the mirrors. The walls in the entryway. Changed the sheets, vacuumed the ENTIRE house (even the stairs! I don't remember the last time I vacuumed the stairs) cleaned the kitchen and living room, mopped the floor, swept the porch, dusted all of the downstairs, did 3 loads of laundry and other various tasks along with multiple breaks to play with Zach. (He figured out how to put together a puzzle today)
.
Maybe that doesn't sound like that big of a feat for normal people but for me it was pretty great. All that is left in my ENTIRE house is the bathroom and 1 load of laundry. I'm feeling good!
.
Tomorrow.... I think we deserve to play! Any ideas?

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Good for you, Teryn. I have always had a difficult time staying on task, too. I can well relate.

Susan Gundersen said...

Great job!!! I know that it sounds crazy, but doesn't getting it all cleaned make you feel like you have accomplished something great! And it smells so good. The great thing for me was to know that I wasn't in danger of the health department coming in to condemn the place and take away my kids.