Saturday, October 2, 2010

Applesauce!

Friday I was really excited that I had the opportunity to help my bishop's wife to make applesauce from the apples she had in her own backyard!

We started out fairly early in the day. We picked, cut, cooked and squished through the morning and well into the afternoon.
It was fun to be able to visit with some of the other gals from my ward while our kids played together.
There were 3 trees and it seemed like and endless number of apples. We ended up only getting 17 large jars done before we all had to take the kids home for naps and there was still a huge box full of apples waiting to be cut and cooked.
You may not be able to tell but Kyle loved being able to enjoy the beautiful sunny day. The applesauce was SO yummy. It was my first canning experience, I felt so domestic and productive. One little trick... we boiled the apple slices in apple/cherry juice to sweeten it just a bit without adding a whole bunch of sugar. Zach couldn't get enough of it!

1 comments:

Crystal said...

That was so much fun! I'm so glad we did that.... just wish I could have stayed longer. I love that pic of you and Kyle :)